Whilst the land purchase was progressing, production continued, with the company introducing two new models of electric fires.
The first was a 3-bar 2.25 K.W. workshop fire. The design was based upon their existing standard 2- and 3-bar fires; with heavy duty wire fire guard in place of the standard covers. At the rear were several wrought iron brackets to ensure that the fire sat 1½ inches away from the wall. The terminals were protected with a cast-iron cover and the fire was supplied without ‘flexibles’ or switches.
The second was designed specifically for hotel bedrooms; again a modification of an existing model, this time a No. 1 two-bar fire. Due to the anticipated rough handling that it would receive, the front casing was re-enforced, the wrought-iron back feet and the wire handle were specifically designed to remain cool during use. The fire, which was 11½in. high, 12½ in. wide and 7in. deep, was supplied with 2 yards of heavy duty flex, 2 switches, giving the option for one or both 750 watt bars to be on.
At the same time the Company, because of the end restrictions on materials, were looking to develop their range of cooking apparatus and to introduce a range of electric ovens.
At the beginning of 1920, the Company reported that sales had doubled over the previous year. Sales would probably have trebled, had it not been for the 18 week nation-wide moulders’ strike; which started on 19th September.
It appears that the Company was going from strength to strength and they were appointing new agents both in the UK and on the continent. At the time that had British agents in Birmingham, Bradford, Glasgow, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Newcastle. Their London agent, appointed in 1919 was Millns Electrical Co., of No. 17, Whitefriars Street, E.C.4.
In May and June 1920, the Company displayed several their products at an international home furnishing exhibition, held in the Amsterdam Paleis voor Volksvlijt. Here they won the highest medal awarded in their class for electric fires and cooking apparatus. Their agents in Holland, Messrs De Goede & Huf reported that the silver medal was indeed the highest award, “as the gold medal was destined for other articles”.
By the middle of 1920 an additional 3 models had been launched.
The first was an oven described as containing: –
“…eight distinct elements with a switching arrangement designed to give varying amounts of heat. Four of these elements are mounted in the top of the oven, and two are fixed on each side. The four top heating elements have a separate controlling switch which permits three degrees of heat. At “high” all four bars glow at full red heat in 10 seconds, consuming about 2 units per hour. The “medium” position switches on two bars only, and at “low” all four bars glow at a quarter heat. The side elements are controlled by an identically similar switch. Very economical operation is claimed for this oven, and it is said that cooking for a small family can be done in 1¼ hours with the consumption of about 3½ units. As will be seen from the illustration, this cooker is very similar in appearance to the usual type of gas oven”.
The second was fire, this time finished in brass and apparently in great demand. The third was another fire, intended to be used on board ship, of which there were two models; one with a single 500-watt element and the other, intended for larger cabins, containing two 500-watt elements, controlled by separate switches. Both these ships heaters were available in either in a matt black or white enamel finish.
In June 1922, they exhibited a range of their appliances at the fortnight long Manchester Housing and Health Exhibition, held at the City Hall, Deansgate, Manchester.
A couple of months later, they released another new fire, which was available in a variety of finishes. As standard it came with four standard Arora 740 watt elements, a wire handle, two yards of heavy flexible cable and was 2ft. tall, 2ft. wide, with a base of 7in. Like some later models, the elements were held in place by two screws which doubled up as the electrical connection. This allowed the elements to be changed without damaging the wiring. It was made of cast-iron, with a sheet iron back and a two-circuit rotary switch, which had four positions, allowing either all four bars, or the top or bottom two to be on or all four to be off. Alternatively, if one of the top pair of bars was coupled to the “live” terminals direct then the four switch positions operated one, two, three or all four bars.
- The Electrical Review, Volume 84, 31st January 1919. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- The Electrical Review, Volume 86, 13th February 1920. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- The Engineer, 8th August 1919. ↑
- A Crystal Palace-like exhibition hall. ↑
- The Electrical Review, Volume 87, 16th July, 1920. ↑
- The Electrical Review, Volume 87, 30th July, 1920. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- The Electrical Review, Volume 91, 7th July, 1922. ↑
- The Electrical Review, Volume 91, 15th September, 1922. ↑