St. Luke’s Church, Southport

 

In 1879, the partnership submitted plans for a new church in Southport, as part of an open competition. Although the Church was built, it was not to partners’ design[1]. Exterior and interior views of their design was printed in The Building News, July 18th 1879 being described as “one of a series illustrating various types of designs, suitable for town churches, the chief characteristics being size and simplicity of plan and construction, by which means large and dignified churches may be built at a reasonable cost. The only costly feature is the tower, which is entirely separate from the church, and could be built independently of it.

Messrs. Burder and Baker’s Exterior Design – The Building News, 18th July 1879.

Messrs. Burder and Baker’s Exterior Design – The Building News, 18th July 1879.

 


Reference:

  1. It was built to the design of architect’s Mellor and Simpson in the Early English style. It is in red brick with blue brick dressings and slate roofs. The church consists of a nave with a baptistry, a clerestory, aisles, and a chancel with transepts and a round apse. There is a bellcote at the junction of the nave and chancel, and the windows are lancets.
    St. Luke’s Church