William Robert Perry, Albert Burder’s uncle, firstly married Emma, the youngest daughter of Walter Mashell Watts on 25th May 1848 at St. Mary’s Church, Islington; secondly married Mary, younger daughter of Joseph Booth on 14th October 1857 at the Holy Trinity Church, Islington. William died on 12th July 1876, aged 51. His funeral was held 17th July 1876 at St. Mary’s Church, Hornsey Rise and he was buried at Highgate Cemetery. At the time of his death he was living at Mount Pleasant, Crouch Hill, leaving an estate valued at under £40,000, to his widow, Mary.
In 1878, Alfred Burder designed a mission hall for St. Mary’s Church built on a vacant site on Marlborough Road (formerly Hanley Road West) Hornsey Rise. The two-storey building, with a one and a half storey entrance hall with mezzanine above on one side, sits with its gable end facing onto the road. The two-storey part of structure runs back through the site, whilst the one and a half storey part gives way to a single storey lean-to projects a little beyond the two-storey part. The lean-to has a series of window lights in the roof as does the two-storey part. Both gable ends have four windows, two on each floor. There are four windows along the first-floor side above the lean-to. The front has contrasting brick courses particularly noticeable around the windows each with a decorative semi-circular feature above, also highlighted with contrasting coloured bricks. In the space between the front entrance and window above there is a simple monumental plaque to William Robert Perry set into the wall with decorative terracotta tiles on either side.
The inscription reads:
A.D. Erected 1878
Erected in loving memory of
William Robert Perry
died July 12th 1876
“Whose faith follow” Heb.XIII.7
“Looking unto Jesus” Heb. XII.2
It is not known who built the mission hall; at least eight responded to the tender, guided by quantities of materials supplied by Mr. George Sparrow Harrison, another London-based architect:
Today (2017) the property still stands, known as The Mission House, it has been converted into residential flats.
In 2016 a two-bedroom loft apartment was offered for sale for £825,000 and described as: –
set over the top floors of a generously converted former mission house which has retained many of its splendid original features. These include exposed brickwork, stripped and polished floor boards, full-height timber sash windows and vaulted ceilings with exposed oak beams.
Accommodation comprises; open-plan reception with feature kitchen, two bedrooms upstairs and a further mezzanine work space which leads to private terrace.
- The Observer, 29th May, 1848. ↑
- The Standard, 16th October, 1857. ↑
- Except for £100, which went to Mr William Fawssett, an executor. ↑
- The Morning Post, 26th August, 1876. ↑
- The Illustrated Carpenter & Builder, 15th March, 1878. ↑
- http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41322438.html ↑