The Architect, 13th November 1875
It has been reported that Alfred Burder was responsible for the design of several houses in the Burton Street area of Loughborough, built in the 1870s and 1880s. However, the only confirmed Alfred Burder designed properties in Loughborough are Nos. 75 and 77, Park Road, a pair of semi-detached villas, which he designed in 1875 for Thomas Messenger, the previous owner of the horticultural business.
A sketch of the villas was published in The Architect Magazine on 13th November 1875. The design being, at the time, unusual for Loughborough, in that the villas faced away from the road, with the main rooms facing south-west across the long garden towards Charnwood Forest. The villas, which were still being built in November 1875, were described in an associated article: –
“…..The kitchen offices are in the basement, and consist of kitchen, scullery, coal-cellar, wine-cellar, larder and pantry, and w.c.; also a lift to communicate with the ground-floor. On the second-floor are three bed-rooms, and a linen closet.
The walls are built hollow of Tucker’s red bricks; the roofs are covered with plain tiles. The cost of the pair, not including boundary walls, will be about 1,450l.”
The brickwork, plastering and roofing was offered to tender, with Mr. Ludlam winning the contract with the lowest tender of £823 14s. 9d., against £1,060 from Mr. Barker, £910 from Mr. Wain and £870 from Mr. Moss. Unsurprisingly, Messrs. Messenger and Perkins undertook the plumbing and glazing for £93 15s.
|£,1060 0s. 0d.
£910 0s. 0d.
£870 0s. 0d.
£834 14s. 9d.
Plan of Nos. 75 and 77, Park Street – 1880
Walter Burder appears to have moved into No. 77, then known as Beacon View, almost as soon as it was built. He continued to live there for around ten years before moving to Field House, Ashby Road.
Plan of Nos. 75 and 77, Park Street – 1906
Nos. 75 and 77, are still extant today (2017) and appear essentially unaltered. However, with the building of Oliver Street, the gardens of both properties have been reduced and in the case of No. 77 lost almost completely to a modern bungalow. Also the original outbuildings of No. 77, have been converted for residential use and a new porch has been added to the main residence. The greenhouse (presumably one of Messenger’s) shown in the garden of the 1880 plan was removed prior to 1906.
Two other houses, further along Park Road, opposite the end of Burton Street, are similarly designed. Again, they were owned, at one time, by Thomas Messenger, who for a period, lived in one of them. Albert Burder may well have also been responsible for their design. He might also have been for designing Nos. 19-23, Burton Street; similarly, once owned by Thomas Messenger.