Mount Pleasant House, The Architect, 6th March 1875
Another example of Alfred’s work appeared in The Architect on 6th March 1875. This was a three-storey villa built for his uncle, Mr. William Robert Perry at Crouch End, North London, on a site overlooking the Alexandra Palace.
VILLA AT HORNSEY.
THIS villa has been built on Mr. W. R. PERRY’s property at Crouch Hill, Hornsey, on a site overlooking (beyond the village of Hornsey to the north) the Alexandra Palace, the views in this direction being the best. The generally-received aspect for the dining and drawing-room was in this case modified, and these rooms face the north.
The arrangement of the ground and first-floors are explained in the accompanying plans. On the second-floor are two large nurseries, a nursery, china, and linen closet, and two other bedrooms. The walls are faced with Ballingdon red bricks, the roof covered with plain tiles, and ridge tiles, from Mr. Cooper, of Maidenhead. The perspective shows the garden front.
The work was carried out by Messrs. CARTER & SONS and Messrs ROBERTS, the contract being for 1,840l. Mr. ALFRED W. N. BURDER, of 14 York Chambers, Adelphi, was the architect.
This property appears to have been built several years prior to the article appearing in The Architect. In April 1870, it was reported that Messrs Carter & Sons, won the tender with the lowest submission of £1,840 against that of Mr. Roberts at £1,860 with the highest of the six submissions that of Mr. Timeswell at £2,024:
|Timeswell||£2,024 0s. 0d.|
|Wood||£1,900 0s 0d.|
|Dove||£1,894 0s. 0d.|
|Wood & Son||£1,867 0s 0d.|
|Roberts||£1,860 0s 0d.|
|Carter & Sons (accepted)||£1,840 0s. 0d.|
In mid-July 1877, Alfred Burder ordered, on behalf of Mrs. Mary Perry, a heated 17ft. 3in. x 12ft. 3in. conservatory from the firm. The conservatory, which fitted into the corner of the residence only required a roof, front and one side cost £39 5s.; the 12ft. x 7ft. stepped stage was £7; the heating system with a No. 0 boiler, 35 yards of 4in heating pipes, 30 cement joints and 27ft of 1ft. 2in. wide grating cost £20.
The property, which included the house and gardens, occupied a site which is now bounded by Dickenson Road to the north, Crouch Hill to the west, and what was is today is Ella Road to the south and east. The house, which sat towards the north-west corner of the site with formal gardens laid out to the north-east, was demolished less than twenty-five years after being built and replaced by a series of semi-detached and terraced properties fronting onto all three roads.