Walter Chapman Burder was the son of the Rev. Alfred Burder (1812/3-1879) and Ellen Sarah Perry (1824-1898). Alfred Burder, who was born in Clerkenwell, was the son of Rev. Samuel Burder (1773-1837) and Lydia Newsom (1778-1856). In January 1843, after being educated at Magadalen Hall, Oxford, he was appointed curate of St. Mary’s Church, Upper Street, Islington. Whilst curate he lived in Upper Terrace, presumably with his parents. He married Ellen Perry the youngest daughter of Thomas Walter Perry, of Tufnell Place, Islington, in St. Mary’s Church on 23rdDecember 1845. In July 1846, Alfred Burder was elected to the new post of vicar at Ulgey, Essex by patrons Christ’s Hospital, living at the vicarage, where he remained for 28 years. The grade II listed Georgian property, was offered for sale in 2015 for £1,375,000, being described having 5 receptions rooms (several panelled), 6 bedrooms, conservatory, cellar, two-storey coach house, standing in grounds of around 2.8 acres.
The Old Vicarage, Ugley
Walter was born on 7th February 1848 at Islington Middlesex, probably at his paternal grandmother’s residence in Upper Terrace.
In 1861, Walter Burder was staying with his mother, and four siblings, Alfred, Amelia, Elizabeth and Gertrude at Elm Bank, Tottenham Lane, Hornsey, London; the home of Thomas Perry, his widowed maternal grandfather. Thomas Perry was the founder and until 1856 the proprietor and manager of Perry’s Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette, located at Wallbrook House, London. Thomas Perry died in December 1868 leaving an estate valued at less than £100,000.
Walter was educated at King’s College, London, where he studied applied sciences between January 1864 and October 1866 and made an associate of the College; following which he served a three-year apprenticeship (October 1866-1869) with Messrs. Easton & Anderson, engineers, millwrights & boiler makers, with works in Erith and offices at No. 3 Whitehall Place, London. During this time, he worked his way through the firm’s various workshop and their drawing office. Between 1869-70 he oversaw the firm’s building of the Bishop’s Stortford Water Works. Between January and July 1871, he was employed in the drawing offices of W. Hawksey, President of the Institute of Civil Engineers: following which, he spent eighteenth months (1872-3) with W.F.H. Head, Associate head of the Institute; initially as a draughtsman and then for six months supervising the erection of the roof at Whitbourne Hall, Worcestershire.
When he purchased Messenger & Co, in 1875, he was living with his parents, who had by this time retired and were residing at Park Dale, Farthing Road, Battle, Sussex.
Clavering Church looking south
He married Elizabeth Jane Gifford Nash (1856-1931), the daughter of Rev. Frederick Gifford and Sarah Elizabeth Nash, at Clavering, Essex, on May 24th, 1876.
Clavering Church looking north
When he moved to Loughborough, he initially lived, albeit very briefly, in one of Thomas Messenger’s properties in Rectory Place. After a short while he relocated to another Thomas Messenger owned property, the semi-detached villa, initially known as Beacon View in Park Lane (now Park Road) and designed by Alfred, Walter’s brother (see below).
Beacon View, Park Road, Loughborough
About ten years later, Walter purchased the Field House estate, on Ashby Road, at auction on 27th September 1886 and remained there until his death on 15th June 1931.
Field House, Ashby Road, Loughborough
He was Commandant, V.A.D. 24, Chairman of Loughborough General Hospital, Leicestershire and President of the Photographic Section of Loughborough Literary and Scientific Society. He was also one of the original directors of the Loughborough Constitutional Club, in Baxter Gate. He served on the Town Council as representative for the Storer Ward for seven years, from 1889 to 1891 and 1897 to 1901 He was made an alderman and elected Mayor for the year 1895-6. He was a Justice of the Peace and sat regularly on the Loughborough Bench.
Former Loughborough Constitutional Club, Baxter Gate. now the Revolution Bar
Golden Wedding Celebrations
The couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1926, as recorded in the Loughborough Echo on 28th May: –
Golden Wedding of Mr. & Mrs. W. C. Burder
An event of interest took place in Loughborough on Monday when Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Burder, of “Field House,” Ashby-road, celebrated their golden wedding. For many years both Mr. and Mrs. Burder have been deeply interested in various activities – religious, municipal, political, social and the congratulations of their many friends in the town have been extended to them. Mr. & Mrs. Burder were married at Clavering, Essex, on May 24th, 1876. Mr. Burder is the son of the late Rev. Alfred Burder, vicar of Oakley, Essex. He came to Loughborough many years ago and with the late Mr. A. A. Bumpus, bought the business of Messrs, Messenger & Co., the horticultural engineers, of Loughborough. When Mr. Bumpus retired from the business, Mr. Burder was joined by his brother, Mr. Alfred Burder. For seven years Mr. W. C. Burder served on the Loughborough Town Council, representing the Storer Ward. He was made an alderman and in the year 1885-6 he was made Mayor. He is also a Justice of the Peace and a lay canon of St. Martin’s, Leicester. For upward of 40 years he has shown great practical interest in the Loughborough General Hospital and at the present time is chairman of committee. Both Mr. and Mrs. Bumpus are closely associated with St. Peter’s Church indeed, from the inception of the church. Mr. Burder held the position of churchwarden for 15 years and it was in 1896 that Mrs. Burder, as mayoress, laid the foundation stone of Sunday School. Quite recently, as an appreciation of their work for the church, the members of the Mothers Meeting subscribed and a cheque for £5 8s. was presented, which Mr. & Mrs. Burder handed over to the East Window Fund. The Ladies Working Party presented Mrs. Burder with a gold mounted umbrella and Mr. Burder with a gold-mounted walking stick. A parochial presentation has also been made, when the vicar the Rev. F. Tolhurst, handed over to Mr. and Mrs. Burder a silver bowl, inscribed, “Presented to Mr. and Mrs. Burder, together with a cheque (devoted by their express wish to the East Window Fund), on the occasion of their golden wedding, by the congregation of St. Peter’s Loughborough, May 24th, 1926.” The cheque from the congregation was for £25 and this has been handed over to the East Window fund. At the presentation, the vicar referred to the long and faithful service of Mr. and Mrs. Burder at St. Peter’s and on behalf of the congregation he expressed their good wishes. Both Mr. and Mrs. Burder replied and thanked all who had contributed to the gifts and also for their good wishes. Mr. W. W. Haw and Mr. C. B. Carter, the churchwardens also spoke.
The beautiful grounds of “Field House” are frequently placed at the disposal of the church, for fêtes. Mr. and Mrs. Burder have both played an important part in the political life of the town, their work being identified with the Conservative Party. For a long period, Mrs. Burder was president of the Women’s Unionist Association in Lougboro’ and chairman of the Storer Ward branch. Mrs. Burder is the daughter of the late Frederick Gifford Nash, vicar, of Clavering. It is interesting to note that the Rev. Gifford Nash and Mrs. Nash celebrated their golden wedding at “Field House” twenty-five years ago and it was only a fortnight ago that Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Burder celebrated their golden wedding at Powke, Worcestershire. Mr. and Mrs. Walter C. Burder have three sons, three daughters, and eleven grandchildren, and Monday was the occasion of a happy gathering.
The staff of Messenger & Co., Ltd., have presented Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Burder a cut glass rose bowl, which has on it the following inscription: “To Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Burder, with the best wishes of the staff on the celebration of their golden wedding, May 24th 1926. The staff of Messrs Messenger & Co., Ltd., are presenting to Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Burder a Chippendale chair, in commemoration of their golden wedding.
Walter Burder’s Funeral
The funeral was reported in the Loughborough Echo:
DEATH OF MR W. C. BURDER, J.P.
EX-MAYOR OF LOUGHBOROUGH
A LIFE OF SERVICE
We regret to announce the death of Mr. Walter C. Burder, J.P., of “Field House”, Ashby-road, Loughborough, which took place at his residence on Monday. Mr. Burder was 83 years of age and had been ill for some months. The life and work of the late Mr. Burder is interwoven with the progress of Loughborough and his name will long be remembered in connection with many of the charitable organisations in the town, particularly the Loughborough Hospital, of which he was a, chairman of the committee, for many years. He was a man of wide and varied interests, genial of temperament and always willing to give of his sage advice to those who approached him. His love for St. Peter’s Church and his generosity where “the welfare of the church was concerned are well known to many, for he was the prime mover in the formation of the parish and the building of the church. Much sympathy will go out to Mrs. Burder and the family.
Mr Burder was the son of the late Rev. Alfred Burder, vicar of Oakley, Essex. He was apprenticed to the engineering trade and before coming to Loughborough in 1875, he worked at Erith, for the Eastern Engineering Co. When he came-to Loughborough, he, with the late Ald. A. A. Bumpus, bought the business of Messrs Messenger and Co., Ltd., horticultural engineers, and when Mr. Bumpus retired from the business he was joined-by his brother, Mr. Alfred Burder. The business has prospered, employs many local people and the quality of the products is well known, not only throughout Great Britain but in many other countries.
Valuable Work for the Town
Mr Burder did much valuable work for the town whilst a member of the Loughborough Town Council, on which he represented the Storer Ward for seven years, from 1889 to 1891 and 1897 to 1901 He was Mayor of the Borough for the year 1895-6. He was a Justice of the Peace and up to a year or so ago sat regularly on the Loughborough Bench. He was also a Lay Canon of St. Martin’s, Leicester. For over 40 years he took a deep and practical interest in the Loughborough Hospital, which redounded to the benefit of that institution. For 15 years Mr. Burder was churchwarden at St. Peter’s and it was in 1896 that Mrs. Burder, as Mayoress, laid the foundation stone of the Sunday School. The beautiful grounds of “Field House” were frequently available for social events in connection with St. Peter’s Church. In 1918 he was made a member of the Older of the British Empire for his work, as commandant of the local V.A.D (Leicester 24). He was at one time a governor of the Loughborough Grammar School. Mr. Burder was a prominent Conservative and was the first Chairman of the Loughborough Conservative Association. He was one of the original members of the Loughborough Boat Club, a keen amateur photographer and was president of the Loughborough Photographic Society for many years. In May, 1926 Mr. and Mrs. Burder celebrated their golden wedding. He leaves a widow, three sons, and three daughters.
Tribute by Local Magistrates.
Prior to the commencement of the business at Loughborough Police Court on Wednesday, the Chairman. Mr. C. B. Shakespear, made reference, to the death of Mr. W. C. Burder, who was one of the oldest magistrates. He said that Mr. Burder had been a magistrate for 55 years and although, latterly, ill-health had prevented him from attending, formerly his wide knowledge and sound judgement were of great assistance to his follow magistrates. He had been Mayor, and was associated with many activities for the welfare of the town and its inhabitants. It was the wish of the Bench. that an expression of sympathy should be sent to the widow.
Mr R. S. Clifford, jun., on behalf of the solicitors practising in the court, was in sympathy with the expressions re-corded, and Mr. H. J. Deane, the magistrates’ Clerk, said that not only had the Bench lost a valuable magistrate, but he had lost a personal friend.
On behalf of the police, Supt. F. R. Holloway said that Mr. Burder was a gentleman they would miss very much.
There was a largo congregation at St. Peter’s Church on Wednesday, where the first part, of the funeral service took place. The congregation included representatives of many of the public bodies and institutions in the town, parishioners of St. Peter’s, and representatives from Messrs Messengers. The service, which was choral, was conducted by the Vicar, the Rev. P. Tolhurst, who was assisted by the Rev, J. Adams and the Rev. J. Ilsley. Three hymns were sung, “They whose course on earth is o’er,” “On the resurrection morning,” and “Jesus lives.” Psalm xc. was sung, and the Rev. Ilsley read the lesson, I. Cor. xv. 20. At the conclusion of the service the Nunc Dimittis was sung. The interment at the Loughborough Cemetery was conducted by the Rev. I. Tolhurst.
The chief mourners were; The widow, Mr. Eric Burder, Mrs. Nash and Mr. E. W. H. Nash, Mr. and Mrs. Baker and Mr. R. E. D. Baker, Rev. and Mrs. Averay Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Gifford Burder, Mr. Ray Burder, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Burder, Mrs. Monck and Mr. B. Monck, Mr. and Mrs. Edwyn Burder, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Burder, Miss Nash and Miss E. Nash, Mrs. Fison and Mr. Clavering Fison, M.P., Rev. and Mrs. Welldon, Mr. and Mrs. T. S. Nash.
The following were bearers, all representatives of the firm; Messrs J. H. F. Cunningham, Ernest Barker, H. Smith, P. Martin, J. T. Smith, H. Cunningham, John Kerfoot and A. T. Walsh.
There was a profusion of beautiful wreaths, and the coffin bore a cross of flowers from the widow and family.
The flag was flown at half-mast at Messrs Messengers and at St. Peter’s Church, and at 12;30 Messrs Messengers closed down for the day.
Amongst those noticed in the church were the following; Mr. Wilfred Moss. C.B.E., Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Deane and Miss Deane, Rev. D. R. Robson and Mrs. Robson, Canon Sturdee, Mr. A. T. Brotherton, J.P., Mr. G. P. Brand. J.P., Mr. and Mrs. S. R. Pullinger. Mr. W. F. Bent Beardisley, Mr. Lionel Beardsley, Mr. A. M. Barrowcliff, Mrs. Barrowcliff, Mr. W. H. Purnell, J.P., Mr. W Porter, Porter, Mr. J. H. Porter, Mr. and Mrs. F. H. White, Mr. and Mrs. M. T. Woolley, Mr. J. L. Wooley, Mr. J. K. Barker, Mr. B. B. Barrow, J.P., Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Hanford, Mrs. G. W. Briggs, Coun. and Mrs. F. C. Welch, Mr. T. Cook, Mr. L. Trevor Jones, Dr. R. B. Stamford, Dr. J. A. Unitt, Dr. N. McCleod, Dr. Brumnitt, Rev. D. Llewelyn, Mr. W. W. Coltman, J.P., Mr. A. B. Martin, Mrs. Wightman, Mr. and Mrs. F. S. Grogan, Mr. and Mrs. A. Whittaker, Mr. A. Marriott. Rev. R. G. Marriott, Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Toone, Mr. C. W. Toone and Miss Tonne, Miss Kaye (Matron Loughborough Hospital), Rev. B. Kenyon, and Mr. C. P. Carter and Mr. J. R. Tilley (churchwardens). Mr. Wilfred Kidger was at the organ.
The wreaths were as follows; Wife and six children; “Dods and Betty”; “Ted Evelyn and Pam”; Eustace. Dick, Daphne, Marjorie and Foe”; Ernest, Geoffrey and Martin”; “Florrie, Pat and Judy”; Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Burder and Miss Burder; Mrs. Monck and family; Mrs. Tainsh; Mrs. J. O. Fison; Charlie and Welldon; “Clay and Evelyn”; “Kenneth, Daisy and Derrick”; “Katie and Edie”; “Edywn and Kitty”; “Chris and Mae”; Gladys, Marjorie, Giffie and Lorna”; “Tom and Joan”; “Walter and Mabel”; Nurse Raven; Mr. and Mrs. Wise; Maids at “Field House” and “Redholme”; Messenger & Co., Ltd., (Staff); Employees of Messenger & Co., The Arora Coy; Members of the Men’s and Women’s Leicestershire Conservative and Unionist Association, Loughborough; Governors of Loughborough Endowed Schools; The Loughborough Grammar School; Trustees of Storer’s Charity; Committee of Loughborough Hospital; Matron and Staff of Loughborough Hospital; The Clergy and Church Officers of St. Peter’s; Rev Tolhurst; St. Peter’s Mothers’ Meeting; St. Peter’s Choir; St. Peter’s Working Party; Mrs. Eddowes; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Deane and Miss Deane; Mable Beardsley; Miss A. C. Henslowe; Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Hudson; Will and Nutty Beardsley; Mr. and Mrs. Brunton and Freda; “Lionel and Marjorie”; Major Beardsley; Mr. and Mrs. Grogan, Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Paul; Mrs. Trevor Jones; Mrs. Barrowcliff and Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Barrowcliff; Mr. C. T. Parker; “Leslie and Mabel”; Mr. and Mrs. C. Hole; Mr. and Mrs. Healey: Mrs. Jones and Poppy; Mrs. Webster and family: Canon and Mrs. Eddowes; Mrs. James; Mr. and Mrs. C. P. Carter; Mr. and Mrs. F. Toone; Mr. and Mrs. Wightman; Mr. and Mrs. Blain; Mr. and Mrs. Unitt; Mrs. Montague Stone; Rev. Averay Jones, Miss Averay Jones and Miss D. Averay Jones; Mr. G. R. Fullager; Mr. and Mrs. John Woolley; Allan and Mabel White; Mr. and Mrs. Pullinger; Dr. R. B. Stamford and Mrs. Stamford; Miss Kaye; Family of the late William Brooks; Mr. and Mrs. Belton; Flowers from the garden; Mrs. Lifton Wynne; Miss Jean Michael; Mrs. Richardson.
Walter Burder died at home on 15th June 1931, aged 83, after a long illness, leaving an estate valued at £33,382 0s. 6d., with net personalty £24,780. In his will, he left £250 to his wife, £1,000 to his son Raymond, £100 to the Peterborough Diocesan Trustees for augmenting the living of St. Peter’s Church, Storer Road, Loughborough, £100 to the Loughborough Hospital and Dispensary; his property was to held in trust for his wife for life and then for his children as tenants in common.
- The Ecclesiastical Gazette, 10th January 1843. ↑
- The Ecclesiastical Gazette, 14th February 1843. ↑
- The Observer, 4th January 1846. ↑
- Between 1783 and 1846 the curate of Berden (several miles to the west of Ugley) had been rectors of Ugley. ↑
- The Times, 29th July 1846. ↑
- The Cambridge Chronicle and Journal, 8th August 1846. ↑
- Jackson’s Oxford Journal, 8th February 1879. ↑
- “C18 red brick house with a parapet. The building of the house is recorded in the Parish records dated 1722. Two storeys and attics. Five window range of double-hung sashes with glazing bars and flush cased frames. The windows have segmental gauged brick arches. A central 8 panel door with the upper panels glazed has a wood doorcase with fluted pilasters, triglyph frieze and pediment. Roof tiled, with 2 segmental headed dormers and end chimney stacks”. ↑
- Jackson’s Oxford Journal, 26th February 1848. ↑
- Elm Bank no longer stands. It was located on the south side of Tottenham Road, close to Hornsey Railway Station. It was offered for sale in 1865 being described as “detached with seven bedrooms, two drawing rooms, dining room, morning room and servants’ offices; approached by a carriage drive; conservatory, pleasure and kitchen gardens and two paddocks, stabling for three horses, coach house and carriage yard; the whole” (The Morning Post, 20th April 1865). Eighteen years later it was again offered for sale, this time described as a six-acre freehold building estate (The Standard, 8th August 1883). ↑
- The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 30th December 1868. ↑
- Perry’s original Bankrupt and Insolvency Registry Office for protection against frauds, swindlers etc., was established in London in 1810 and published the Perry’s Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette, monthly from at least 1828. The Gazette also included lists of dissolutions of partnerships gazetted in England and Wales. The names of the partners are given in full, surnames in capitals, followed by trade and address, and date of the end of the partnership. ↑
- The Pall Mall Gazette, 24th December 1868. ↑
- The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, 15th January 1869. ↑
- The Institution of Civil Engineers membership associate application form, dated 23rd October 1873. ↑
- Kelly’s Directory of Kent, 1882. ↑
- The Building News, 29th November, 1867. ↑
- The Institution of Civil Engineers membership associate application form dated 23rd October 1873. ↑
- The 17th century house is now converted into ‘The Powder Mills Hotel’, set in 200 acres. Originally the site of a famous Gunpowder Works, reputed to have made the finest gunpowder in Europe during Napoleonic Wars. ↑
- The Loughborough Echo, 19th June, 1931. ↑
- In 1909 it was decided to form Voluntary Aid Detachments (VADs) to provide medical assistance in time of war. By the summer of 1914 there were over 2,500 Voluntary Aid Detachments in Britain. Of the 74,000 VADs in 1914, two-thirds were women and girls. ↑
- In the early 1920s they met alternate Fridays at the Church Lads’ Brigade Hall, Woodgate, Loughborough. ↑
- Son. ↑
- Daughter and son-in-law. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- Son. ↑
- Brother. ↑
- Nephew. ↑
- Ibid. ↑
- Frank Guy Clavering Fison (1892-1985) was the nephew of Elizabeth Burder, Walter’s wife; he was MP for Woodbridge, Suffolk 1929-1931; knighted in 1957 for political and public services in Suffolk; Chairman of Fisons Limited (1929–62). ↑
- Mrs Agnes Mildred Welldon was the sister of Elizabeth Burder, Walter’s wife. ↑
- Thomas Sidney Nash was the sister of Elizabeth Burder, Walter’s wife. ↑
- The Nottingham Evening Post, 27th August 1931. ↑