Winifred was born in Loughborough on 11th May 1884 and part of her education was conducted at Brondesbury House, Eastern Esplanade, Cliftonville, Kent.
1905 Brondesbury School advertisement – Journal of the Royal Colonial Institute
Winifred married the Revd. Alexander Ernest Averay Jones (1878-1940) in Loughborough Parish Church, on 10th August 1911. The ceremony was conducted by the father of the bridegroom, assisted by the bride’s uncle, the Revd. Charles Edwards Welldon, rector of Cotton, Stowmarket. The couple honeymooned on the continent.
Alexander Ernest Averay Jones was the third son of the Revd. Alexander George Jones, vicar at Yarkhill, Herefordshire and Wilhelmina Cecilia Speth. Educated at Keble College, Oxford, he was curate at Kettering and Diocesan Inspector of Schools for the Archdeaconry of Oakham at the time of his marriage and living at No 129, Stamford Road, Kettering. He became rector of All Saints’ Church, Seagrave, Leicestershire in 1920, before moving to St. Luke’s Church, Duston, Northamptonshire, in 1927. In the late 1930s, he returned to Leicestershire, becoming vicar of Prestwold-cum-Hoton near Loughborough. He died on 2nd September 1940, aged 62, in the John Faire Hospital, Leicester, following a short illness and is buried in Hoton Burial Ground.
Winifred died on 20th August 1954, aged 70 and is buried alongside her husband.
They had two children: –
- Geoffrey John (1913-1978):
Geoffrey was born on 17th May 1913 and later became a poultry farmer in Leicestershire. He died suddenly on 27th February 1978, aged 64 and was buried alongside his parents.
- Martin Frederick (1918-1981):
Martin subsequently worked for the Company after the Second World War, before leaving to run a hotel in Torbay.