For several seasons in the early 1890s the firm fielded a football team which included the following employees:
One of the initial problems for both the cricket and football team was the lack of a permanent sports ground. Where they played in the 1890s is unknown.
In the late 1940s, when the football team was captained by H. Lunker, they initially played friendlies with local teams, although they soon applied to join the Alliance League for the 1950-1 season.
In late March 1950, a team playing under the name of “Messenger Sports” played a friendly against Morris Sports Reserves, at Bottleacre Lane. The team comprising of K. Downs, L. Giles, T. W. Green, D, Brislin, H. Bunker, K. Hutchinson, J. Betts, F. Pilkington, H. Long, M. Collins, J. Glenn, with reserves, F. Burton and G. Spencer, were due to meet at 14:30 for a 15:00 kick off at the “North Works Canteen”. This presumably refers to Brush’s canteen, so whether this was a true firm’s team is unclear.
- A Century of Progress – a History of Messenger & Company, Limited. 1858-1958 (Unpublished). ↑