Royal Horticultural Society’s Great Spring Show (Chelsea)

The Show started in 1862, as the Great Spring Meeting; it was held at the Society’s gardens in Kensington, London and when these closed in 1888, the Show transferred to the Temple Garden situated between the Embankment and Fleet Street, London. Following the great success of the Royal International Horticultural Exhibition, held in 1912, in the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, the Society decided to transfer their Great Spring Show, as it became known, in 1913 to the Chelsea site..

The firm’s first known appearance at the Show was in 1922, they attended every show up to 1939, the last show to be held prior to World War Two. It appears that 1939 was also the last show that the firm attended. There are no records of them exhibiting at any of the post Second World War Shows[1].

 


Reference:

  1. Information obtained from Elizabeth Gilbert of Reader Services, RHS Lindley Library, 80 Vincent Square, London.