Wood lath blinds, sold by the firm, were normally composed of deal held together with metal rings. Fitted on the outside of greenhouses and/or conservatories, they provided a mechanism of controlling both the amount of light entering the structure and, to an extent, the internal temperature. Being external, they were more effective in reducing the internal temperature than internal blinds by reflecting heat prior to it entering the structure. The blinds also provided an insulating effect by conserving heat overnight and during the winter months. They also provided protection during heavy storms, particularly hailstorms and were sold as being both “permanent” and “practically imperishable”.
The blinds were flexible and capable of being rolled up and down, or removed completely. Where there was no top ventilator, the blinds were secured close to the ridge and with the aid of an arrangement of cords and pulleys could be adjusted from ground level, the cord being secured around a cleat hook attached to the side of the greenhouse or conservatory. Where the structure had a top ventilator then the blinds were attached just below it, being fixed and operated in the same manner.
The firm supplied blinds upto 16ft. in length and, if painted, then always green. The only measurements the customer was required to supply were the length of the lath and depth of the blind down the roof.
Modern Wood Lath Blinds
- Advertisement, The Gardeners’ Magazine, 4th April 1908. ↑