Porch, in this instance, is restricted to small covered structure, normally constructed of wood and glass, attached to a residence. The firm built many porches attached to their horticultural buildings and these, where applicable, have been covered when looking at these buildings. Where a porch morphs into a conservatory is an interesting point: whilst most porches are perceived as an entrance to a residence, they were on occasions used for growing and displaying plants. In the examples explored below nearly all the customers refer to the porch in terms of a small conservatory.
The existing customer database would indicate that the firm only installed a handful of porches, a little over a dozen in total. The earliest porch was installed in 1875 for Mr. T. G. Scott of Stretton House, Hinckley and the last was in 1955, when they installed 2 glazed porches to engineer’s houses at the Towers Hospital, Humberstone, Leicester ordered by the Leicester No. 3 Hospital Management Committee.
The existing evidence would suggest that the firm did not appear to have a standard ‘off the shelf’ design, with each one being bespoke. This appears to have been true even after World War Two, when the firm migrated away from bespoke design to a more standard model policy across their product range.
- Mr. J. Wigram, The Manor, South Collingham
- Miss. S.E. Locke, Totnes, No. 183, Duffield Road, Derby
- Mr. J.S. Alderson, No. 74, Hillmorton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire
- Col. G. A. Lewis, Highfield House, Highfield Road, Derby
- Mr. E. Simkiss, Park Lodge, Park Lane, Littleover, Derby