Ten years after the firm built a conservatory at the Manor for John Wigram, he approached them to build a small 8ft. x 6ft. 6in. span roof porch over the front door. The porch in keeping with the manor’s windows had the same size small panes to the lower part and smaller square panes, matching the conservatory, to the upper part. The former was glazed in clear glass, whilst the latter was glazed with tinted cathedral glass, characteristic of the firm’s design. Ventilation was provided by a simple centrally hinged opening light in the gable above the door, probably operated by a pully mechanism. The roof was glazed with plate glass, topped with a simple turned wood finial. The original design shows flat stages along both sides; however, following discussions with the client they were substituted by two sets of shelving along each side. The internal front door measured 3ft. 7½in. wide, a dimension reflected in the moulded door on the front of the porch.
The total cost of the porch, including all the material, erection, etc., amounted to £30 11s., which included an additional 1s., for the two panes tinted cathedral glass for the porch door. The initial approach from John Wigram was on the 28th March 1903, with the estimate of £30 10s., being accepted on 14th April and the work completed at the end of May.
The Museum of English Rural Life ref: TR MES AD1/1074. ↑