In 1893, the firm undertook the job of re-glazing an existing veranda at Regent House for George Albert Hodson. Presumably at the behest of the owner the re-glazing was completed using a puttyless glazing system, instead of their own standard putty-based glazing solution.
Unfamiliar with the puttyless system they contacted two purveyors of the puttyless glazing – Messrs. E. Newton &Co., horticultural builders, based in Hitchin, Hertfordshire and Messrs. T. Helliwell, of Brighouse, Yorkshire. Both firms quote for the work, with Messrs. Newton only offering to supply the glazing material, whilst Helliwell’s quoted for their patented system being prepared to deliver to site and install it.
Messrs. Newton quoted 6½d. per ft. for the galvanised glazing bar, which came in 5ft. lengths, complete with springs and clips, ready to fix. The price only included carriage paid to London Galvanizers. When added to the 83ft. of 5ft. 4in. wide 3/16in. thick cast plate glass, the new rain water system, flashing, removing the old glazing, preparation and fixing, the final estimate amounted to £50 10s.
Messrs. T. Helliwell quoted £21 10s., including fitting, for their system, comprising of steel bars, zinc caps, brass bolts, 3/16in. cast plate glass. In addition, Halliwell quoted £5 to supply and fix 15-gauge zinc moulded hip capping and lead flashing. Additions, including the new rain water system, taking down the old glazing, preparation, etc., brought the total estimate to £56 15s., which Mr. Hobson accepted.
Terratruck, a took hire business, currently (2018) occupies part of the Regent House site. Towards the rear of the site a few original buildings may remain, although the veranda disappeared when Regent House was demolished.